Sunday 28 June 2009

Mortis: The Devil in the Detail

Video recording systems deactivated, audio only. Recorder on.

Mortis' voice sounds weary. The gentle hum suggests that he is on board a ship.

The Masque walks.

I feel a little guilty. Ashley was always a loyal employee until she chose to leave my services. Harmless enough. Now, of course, she doesn't exist.

Masque has an incredibly blunt approach to what is and is not acceptable... I find myself agreeing with much that she says, but still, the ruthlessness and logic of it...

Hah. 'She'. I wonder if the monster intentionally chose a female body, to... I don't know. Try and ensare me further. If that is the case, it's comforting. Some little hint that it isn't perfect. That it can't predict me perfectly. Almost amusing, watching it... her... it try to push long-dead buttons. Ineptly, I might add. She might know a lot, but how to make a human body work isn't on that list.

The medical lab was somewhat twitchy about releasing the body. Perhaps they'll soon work out that the 'experimental treatment' their computers spat out wasn't in the database yesterday, and isn't in there now. Cruel trick, but it worked.

On the other hand... with Elysa's unexpected resignation, it's something of a relief to have a proper aide again. She probably knows my network better than I do...

Hah. Of course she does.

People will learn soon enough that I have an AI at my side. Hopefully that will distract them from the more important question.

She's offered to help me recover my memories of my time with Intel. No idea what she proposes, but I'm reluctant. Having her poke around in my head isn't my idea of a good time.

I'm just hoping that she doesn't go near Reppy. God knows she seems to be intent on lynching Inara for 'traitorous intent'. Told her to leave it, but I don't think that's in her nature.

So what now?

Recorder off.

No comments:

Post a Comment